Employment relationships and their termination
University personnel are in a contractual employment relationship.
Selection of a professor
• The post of professor must be publicly announced vacant when a person is hired into an employment relation in force until further notice.
• The post of professor may be filled by invitation without pubic notice of vacancy when a professionally distinguished person may be invited to take the post or a person is appointed for a fixed period to the post. Only a person who indisputably fulfils the qualification requirements may be appointed to the post by invitation.
• Statements concerning the qualifications and merits of persons applying for and invited to the post must be requested from a minimum of two experts where a person is appointed to a position in effect until further notice or for a fixed period of at least two years.
• Provisions concerning the selection process are included in universities' regulations.
Termination of employment
If an employer gives notice, the notice period depending on the length of the uninterrupted working time is as follows:
- 14 days if employment has continued for no more than one year
- 1 month if employment has continued for over one year but no more than 4 years
- 2 months if employment has continued for over 4 years but no more than 8 years
- 4 months if employment has continued for over 8 years but no more than 12 years
- 6 months if employment has continued for over 12 years
If an employee gives notice the notice period is as follows:
- 14 days if employment has continued for no more than 5 years
- 1 month if employment has continued for over 5 years
The notice period begins on the day after notice is given.
A fixed-term agreement ends on the agreed date or after the end of the task without a notice period.
Employment ends beginning on the day when an employee has been granted old-age pension for an employment relation or in Finland full disability pension.