University professors work under a contractual employment relationship, while the majority of research institute professors work under a public-service employment relationship, i.e. they are civil servants.
The Finnish Union of University Professors promotes and supervises its membership's interests in pay and other remuneration issues as well as in questions related to employment relationships, job descriptions and professional tasks.
The work of a professors is regulated by, inter alia, the following provisions:
- The Universities Act
- University rules of procedure
- Collective labour agreement for the universities
- Research institute codes of conduct
- General collective agreement for State civil servants and contractual employees
- The Employment Contracts Act
- Other labour legislation